DNA is NOT Foolproof...
Reference articles showing DNA evidence is NOT foolproof, and in fact is often wrong:
- View a YouTube.com video showing what went wrong with Gary Leiterman's case. Judge for yourself as to whether the DNA evidence was foolproof in Gary's case.
- Numerous articles from Dr. Theodore Kessis's Report Appendix, showing that DNA testing procedures are often handled poorly.
- Elizabeth A. Johnson, an expert in DNA testing in California, said everyone in the criminal justice system should be wary of accepting reports concerning DNA evidence without testing their conclusions.
- ''It is very, very reliable if you do two things right: if you test it right, and if you interpret the results right,'' Ms. Johnson said. ''The problem is that jurors think it's absolute and infallible.''
- "The problem with DNA testing is not that it results in falsely positive results. The problem is the human factor."
- Article -
- Advocates say many convicts who were ultimately exonerated watched their applications languish for years in the federal review board.
- James Driskell - "The inquiry's final report, released Feb. 15, says the jury in Driskell's trial was "seriously misled" on issues including the reliability of a key Crown witness. The report also said the failure of the Crown to disclose information to the defence was "careless indifference."
Thomas Sophonow - Authorities said they had a new suspect in the 1981 murder for which Sophonow was tried three times and spent nearly four years behind bars.
- Williams Mullins-Johnson - Mullins-Johnson was convicted in the 1994 slaying of his four-year-old niece. He spent more than 12 years in prison for first-degree murder, partly on the now-questionable testimony of a discredited pathologist.
- Article- CBC News - Wrongfully Convicted - Published: October 16, 2007 http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/wrongfullyconvicted/
- Magnus Linklater Writes -
- "Circumstantial evidence, observed Sherlock Holmes, 'is a very tricky thing. It may seem to point straight to one thing, but if you shift your own point of view a little, you may find it pointing in an equally uncompromising manner to something entirely different.'"
- "The value of that evidence may be no better than the DNA analysis that failed so spectacularly last week in the World’s End murder trial."
- Article - The Times - Published: September 19, 2007 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/magnus_linklater/article2485556.ece
- YouTube video showing what DNA is.
- The Innocence Project shows a video of many others exonerated because of wrongful conviction by DNA
- LAB SUPERVISOR WAS ASKED TO RESIGN! - It has been learned that the supervisor (named Barna) of the lab where Gary Leiterman's DNA was stored, Jane Mixer's evidential pantyhose and John Ruelas' DNA were stored, resigned because he had subordinates taking his certification exam. All evidence was in the lab at the same time this supervisor was in charge of the lab. HOW CAN YOU TRUST A CORRUPT LAB?
"TRAVERSE CITY - A former supervisor in the Michigan State Police Crime Lab's DNA analysis unit had a subordinate take a required proficiency test for him last year, an internal investigation found." - December 19, 2004 - Record Eagle - Keith Matheny
Read the full article here about the firing of Barna